Certified application counselor designated organization (CDO)
Certified application counselor designated organizations (CDOs) are a vital component of the assister community. In the Federally-facilitated Marketplace, CDOs oversee certified application counselors (CACs) who are trained and able to help consumers seeking health coverage options through the Marketplace. In order to be designated as a CDO, you must submit an online application and enter into an agreement with CMS. If you would like to serve as a CDO, you can apply to become a CDO.
What does a CDO do?
As a CDO, your staff and volunteers will help people understand, apply, and enroll in health coverage through the Marketplace. Your organization must agree to make sure that your individual CACs complete required training and comply with privacy and security laws, and other program standards.
Your organization must:
- Have processes in place to screen your staff to make sure that they protect consumer information
- Engage in services that position you to help those you serve with health coverage issues
Why become a CDO?
- Your CACs will gain access annual training via the Marketplace Learning Management System (MLMS) so they can provide Marketplace application and enrollment assistance to consumers.
- CMS will provide your organization and CACs with important assister information and updates via webinars and newsletters.
- Your organization also may post your listings on our online directory, Find Local Help, to assist consumers with enrollment assistance.
- Your organization will receive general support via the CAC Questions inbox at CACQuestions@cms.hhs.gov as well as technical support for consumer assistance via the Marketplace Call Center.
Please note that CMS does not certify assister organizations in states operating in State-based Marketplaces (SBMs) or State-based Marketplaces using the Federal Platform (SBMs-FP).
- CDO Application Web Form Technical Assistance Webinar Recording – posted April 9, 2018
- Assister CDO Application Webinar Transcript – posted April 9, 2018
- Assister CDO Application User Guide – posted April 9, 2018
- CDO Organizational Maintenance Web Form Technical Assistance Webinar Recording – posted April 9, 2018
- Assister CDO Organizational Maintenance Webinar transcript posted – April 9, 2018
- Assister CDO Organizational Maintenance User Guide – posted April 9, 2018
- Guidance on Certified Application Counselor Program for the Federally-Facilitated Marketplace including State Partnership Marketplaces